CONCLUDING REMARKS BY H.E. FESTUS G. MOGAE CHAIRPERSON OF JMEC DELIVERED AT THE 21ST JMEC PLENARY MONDAY 20TH NOVEMBER 2017 JUBA, SOUTH SUDAN CROWN HOTEL
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen;
1. I thank you all, for the fruitful deliberations we have had today. I welcome the briefing by the Honorable Minister, Dr Martin Elia Lomuro on recent progress that has been made by the TGoNU in the implementation of the Peace Agreement and support to the IGAD Led Revitalization process.
2. My hope and expectation is that, we will all embrace the revitalization process with open minds and arms, and collectively do whatever it takes to make it a success.
3. I also take note of the update from the Ambassador of Kenya on the arrival of General Paul Malong in Nairobi- Kenya. Once again, I commend all those who made this amicable settlement possible. This is just one example that demonstrate that a peaceful resolution of conflict is possible and we must build on it.
4. I welcome the briefings by the UN Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG), all the Chairpersons of the Agreement Boards and Commissions who have briefed us today (CTSAMM, SDSR Board, and JMCC) and NCAC for the written report, and commend their members for the progress made so far.
5. To conclude, I once again take this opportunity to thank all our partners in the TGoNU, the other South Sudanese stakeholders, IGAD, AU, Troika, EU, China, the UN, UNMISS, and the International Partners and Friends of South Sudan for all the support and commitment demonstrated this year.
6. Whatever modest progress that has made this year by JMEC and all the Agreement Institutions and Mechanisms would not have been possible without our collective efforts.
7. I say very modest, because peace continues to elude the majority of South Sudanese even though I am cognizant of the efforts and increment progress being made by the various institutions and mechanisms of the Agreement.
8. Finally, I must say I am still optimistic as we end the year 2017, pursuant to the revitalization initiative. I appeal for all your support and proactive engagements. Once again, I wish you all, a merry x-mas, a happy, peaceful and a prosperous new year 2018.
I thank you.